Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mental Health Day

Yesterday, I took a mental health day. My husband kept the kids out of the house because the mere sound of our older son calling, "Mamamommy!" was enough to send me through the roof. The day before, he had spent over three hours screaming and crying. I'm at a loss, and my nerves were on end.

Our younger son said, "Hey, mom! You wanna know what I'm going to pick for my next Pokemon battle?" I said, "No." What I really wanted to say was, "Hell, no!" I wanted to throw all of his Pokemons in the garbage and feign innocence.

I was done.

So, what does a mental health day entail? Don't ask me! I'm not very experienced. I'm sure there are more eloquent ways to regain sanity. For, I chose to find more patience by eating donuts for breakfast. That was so good that I had one for lunch. Then, I turned on a chick flick--the kind of movie that doesn't talk about special needs children. Heck, it doesn't talk about kids at all! What kind of romantic film would THAT be? No, this was the kind of movie that talked about life pre-kids when the most important thing the characters think about is whether they will be kissed any time soon.

Last, but not least, I decided to wash my movie down with a bloody mary. Yes, I did. It wasn't even 5 o'clock. It was a 2 o'clock glass of nerve tonic that I milked for the rest of the afternoon and was very happy that I did. (My parents are likely to read this, and although I am forty, I feel as though I'm going to get into trouble for that bloody mary.)

I feel great today. Donuts, a movie and a bloody mary. I should market that. It's good for the soul, and this morning, I kissed my children when I first saw them.

Spread the word: everyone needs a mental health day. As much as we want to be, we are definitely not machines.

1 comment:

  1. Now that is definitely a Mental Health Package - donuts (or as we call them doughnuts!), Bloody Mary, chick flick. Yep, you got all the boxes ticked there. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete