Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spring Break

I just told my low-verbal son to be quiet. Yes, I do see the irony in this, but it's his fault! He's getting really bossy these days with what words he does have.

Over his monitor I hear, "Mamamommy, I want upstairs!" He's quite insistent. "Mamamommy, I want waffles! I WANT WAFFLES, PLEASE!" I mean, give me a break!!

Actually, the "break" is part of our problem. It is Day Two of Spring "Break" here in our area. That means that our older son does not go to school. Our younger son has lost his natural voice and has replaced it with a very loud, high-pitched screech. The neighbor has dropped off her dogs for us to watch for nine days while she goes to a sunny destination, and the dogs have fleas. Please send help. Wine, medication and flea treatments would be greatly appreciated.

School "breaks" do not sit well with the special needs household. Our kids need the routine and therapies that school offers. Without those things in place, "vacation" means a week of sleep disturbance and behavioral upsets. For example, our older son generally loses his toileting skills as the week of "break" progresses. I don't know how it can get much worse than BMs in the sandbox, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. Ugh.

I have a group of friends, all special needs moms, which does a daily check-in via e-mail during "breaks". How is each mom? How is each child? And, truth be told, we also ask how the husbands are coping, but, sshhh, don't tell them I said so.

Happy Spring to all! Enjoy your breaks and holidays. For us, this time of year is about survival--1.5 days down, 5.5 days until school starts! Go, team, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment