Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"Kip"



Four hours.

That's how long our older son was awake in the middle of the night last night. I wish I could say that this was unusual behavior; but, the truth is that his sleep patterns range from "not bad" to "just plain rotten" without any sort of sense. How lucky for all of us! We're in the middle of a rotten spell!

Lately, he's been on a kick, remembering a song that I have sung to him since his infancy. I can't take credit for that song. Heck, I can't even find it in an on-line search anymore so that I can properly reference it.

It's a song about a security blanket, worn with love, and its owner's loyalty to it. Both of our kids have security blankets, as did my husband and I. There's nothing like the bond of a child and his blankie.

"Fluffy," our son called out to me around midnight last night.

That was his signal to me that he wanted me to sing the song. For the record, the word "fluffy" is not to be found within this song's lyrics. Rather, "fluffy" was his closest approximation to the word that started the first verse.

Out of bed I crawled. I sang to him. I kissed him gently as I tucked him in, and I said, "I love you. Now, go to sleep."

Fifteen minutes passed.

"Fluffy," he called out to me.

With a sigh, I returned to his room and again sang the familiar song. Kiss and tuck in.

"I love you," I said, and I went back to my own bed.

Thirty minutes later, I heard, "Fluffy!" from our son.

Argh!

Quick song. Kiss. Tuck. Out the door. This stinks.

Ten minutes passed.

"Fluffy," he called to me.

"SING IT YOURSELF!" I yelled to him. I was over it.

And, he did--in his own words that only his family would understand and with perfect pitch, he sang the song. My heart melted. I climbed from my bed and walked to his room. When I reached the doorway, there he was, sitting up in his bed with a giant grin on his face.

"Kip!' he said to me.

I smiled. "You want a kiss?" I asked.

"Kip!" he responded.

It was half past an obnoxious hour in the middle of the night, but for a moment, I didn't care. I walked to our son's bed knowing that there was no place that I would rather be.


This entry was written in response to the letter prompt "K" in the Blogging A to Z Challenge 2012.

34 comments:

  1. Omg! And the leakage begins! Oh, Amy that is a moment. A real Mom/son moment. Wow. Just wow and pass the kleenex, please, I need a kip. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've cried a lot over this kid. That moment made me smile. It also took away the fire that I was ready to breathe at him should he call me into his room one more time! lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Amy! He's REALLY amazing. I love your blog, but this is my favorite post EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would melt any mom's heart! I love it. Jo, please pass those kleenex my way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should create some sort of Kleenex gadget for my sidebar? I'll put geek/hubby on that one!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! Younger son found my fish. He's a technical wizard. He decided it would be fun to mix things up with the fish settings. NO! I put a STOP to that immediately!

      Delete
    2. Those fish are actually pigs. They eat as much as I give them. Not good, cuz I overfeed everyone!

      Delete
  5. What a great heartfelt post :) I loved this!!

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was working me, you know. Successfully working me.

      Delete
  6. Your making me bawl! I LOVED this! Also died laughing at, "sing it yourself", thank you Jesus and Amy I'm not the only one. Feeling very normal right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you betchya! I have lots of mommy moments. Glad you do also! It's nice to feel normal.

      Delete
  7. WOW ok..like i am crying here.....amazing GRACE!! this so touched me.....you better write that book; compile all these blogs and DO IT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ARGH! I would love to turn this into a book....frozen. And thank you for so much support!

      Delete
  8. Sweet! Sleep would be nice, but connection with your son is even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoken from experience. You are so right on both accounts.

      Delete
  9. Hanna Jensen FinlandApril 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM

    Brenda: I already wrote to the Autism Society of America about this blog. This is amazing. Now we need to contact a publisher (if Amy doesn't). This book just needs to come out. I loved this post. Kip!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did not!! OMGosh...lol! The act of finding a publisher has me frozen. Thank you for everything, Hanna. Kip to you!!!

      Delete
  10. Lovely moment for you to treasure forever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. amy, i felt your stress, and then you love. great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...half past an obnoxious hour... what a line! And what a fabulous moment between you two. One to cherish for sure. And yes, this all really needs to get to a publisher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. The publisher. YIKES! Overwhelming.

      It was an obnoxious hour. lol. My kids keep obnoxious sleep habits.

      Delete
  13. It's amazing how in our most frustrated moment our kids do things to melt our heart and make our eyes leak.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh, how sweet and touching, Amy! And looking at that sweet little face, I'm not surprised you couldn't say no, even at that hour. You have got to be Mother of the Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I've had some not-so-great moments. lol. Our son was keeping me from going over the edge with this move. :) It worked.

      Delete
  15. What a great love story! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sweet! You are such a good mom and you inspire me...

    ReplyDelete