Friday, September 30, 2011

Entertainment

I have to start lifting weights.

And, I really don't want to get into all the reasons WHY I have to start lifting weights, but reason #287 is at the forefront of my mind this morning. Our older son likes to spin my upper arms like a top.

True, it is a talent. However, I also contend that it is the perfect marriage of talent and blubber. Blubber makes me cringe. It is so humbling, and, as I age, it just seems to be popping up everywhere.

Our older son spins things. I used to be very sensitive to this since it is a hallmark trait of kids with autism.

"So what if he likes tops," I used to argue. "He's a KID!" Never mind the fact that he had collection of tops that numbered in the hundreds. All kinds, colors and shapes. It was definitely a fascination that transcended the normal. But, if I were to admit that, well, then I were to take one step closer to accepting autism. That was a parental hurdle for me.

Eventually, I learned that our son used spinning toys as a visual sensory tool. The repetitive movement calmed him, organized him and helped him cope with whatever was challenging him at a given time. He spinned a lot of things when he was young and his autism was new. As he's grown, so, too, have his coping skills grown. He doesn't spin endlessly all day. He saves it for times of crisis. Or, maybe for when he wants to have a little fun.

Fast forward a number of years, and our son is now spinning my upper arms.

And, in the spirit of honesty, I'm also going to admit, he's created an arm spinning song. Yep. He has. Of course, you and I wouldn't be able to make any sense of it, at least not that I can tell. It's sort of a sing-songy, babble --yet don't be fooled! It is very specific. The "words" never change.

Nor do the finger motions that he has created for it.

Ugh. Just let the ground open up and swallow me right now.

Truth be told, a couple of years ago, when he discovered all the fun he could have with my arms, he also discovered the lovely skin under my chin as well as my left cheek. He can spend far too long pinching, pulling and testing the effects of gravity on these areas, and, frankly, well, it's just a sad state of affairs. I tell myself that he is developing my character and fortitude. And, hey, it's interaction...kind of.

But, I think I'll take just about any other game over testing what areas of mom's skin sag or spin the most.

This will be me in a couple years...

No comments:

Post a Comment