Tuesday, July 5, 2011

To My Son on his Birthday

Happy Birthday today to my older son!! Ten years ago today, he made me a mother for the first time and became my greatest teacher.


 
Posted by Picasa


From you, I have learned that growing up in this world can be very hard but facing adversity with a smile always helps.


 
Posted by Picasa


Where you've had no voice, I have spoken for you.

 
Posted by Picasa



When you have been treated poorly, I pressed for change.


 
Posted by Picasa



When you cried for help, I have answered your call.

 
Posted by Picasa


Sleepless nights and restless days have hammered out a shield of patience for me that I never thought that I could carry.

 
Posted by Picasa


From you, I heard, "Stop talking, mom. Listen to me with your eyes and your heart. They will tell you what I am saying."


 
Posted by Picasa

A collector of vacuums.


 
Posted by Picasa


My carousel rider.

 
Posted by Picasa

Even when you shun the excitement of a party and are not interested in gifts, I will silently celebrate with you the day you changed our lives forever.

Peace, health and happiness to you in your tenth year.

9 comments:

  1. That was beautiful, Amy, really beautiful. Sending love and hugs to you all xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Trey! Beautiful sentiment Amy. He is a wonderful boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Leanne! He was so happy the day we spent with you and Tracey. It was as if he was around people that understood him, and he could exhale. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post Amy.

    10 years ago today - my Mr B was in the NICU - and it was Miss M's 3rd birthday. I'd had to cancel her birthday party. I'd already been away from home for a week. She was living at my mum's house and visiting us for an hour a day at the hospital. Until then the longest I'd left her for was 3 hours. My mum brought her to the hospital and we had her cake and candles in the NICU, and then my mum took her away again.

    That week I learnt how to split my heart in two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth, I have chills. Wonderfully said! I remember that entire story as though it was just yesterday!!! How far we have actually come. I am so happy to still be in touch with you! Happiness to your birthday babies. They are simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to a child that is beautiful inside and out; a child that has touched so many lives, including mine! I know that I have been changed by your family...you have taught me more than I could've hoped to teach you. So thank you "T" for all the gifts you have given us, and thank you Amy for all the lessons you continue to teach! xoxo
    ~Jody M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Xo Jody! He took a birthday drive to "Jody's" tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Amy, this was a wonderful post. Trey teaches you, you're teaching us.

    ReplyDelete