Sunday, July 10, 2011

One More Day

I see the light at the end of the tunnel. The end is near.

I may be the dehydrated marathon runner crawling over the finish line, but the important thing is that it will soon be OVER! On this last day, summer break is coming to a close, and extended school year services begin tomorrow for our older son. We spent a total of four hours driving around in the car last night before he would even entertain going to bed.

To the outside world, I'm sure this looks like a case requiring more discipline. Just tell him he can't go, and let him cry it out, right? Why suffer this insanity?

Well, once a person in your life has OCD and autism and is nonverbal, then we can talk about it. I watched my son last night as we tried to reason with him. After each individual trip, we would bring him home in hopes that he was finally finished with that blessed car. However, after a point, I could easily tell that he was beyond reason.

I giggle now at our weak moments. Husband would want to lock him in his room until he was 18. I wanted to drug the living daylights out of him. We both would have LOVED to have spanked him royally. Well, now who was thinking beyond reason?

Luckily, we balanced each other out, ditched all the above ideas and just chipped away. By 1am, he decided that he was done, and he walked upstairs and went to bed.

Today I have already taken him over to the school he will start tomorrow. He is carrying a picture of it in his hand. We checked the doors. Yep, they are locked. School does not start today. However, he must go to bed EARLY tonight because the bus will pick him up in the morning and take him to school.

Tomorrow, the doors to the school will be open!

REJOICE! LET THE CHOIRS SING!!

Our son is now walking around saying, "Bus. Bus. Bus."

Please, oh please, tell me that thoughts of the bus will replace the car tonight. If not, well, the end is still near, and life in this house and in The Mom Cave can get back to normal.



Thanks for your patience and support!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm sooo glad that he's going to ESY and you're getting a break...you so desperately need it. Bear started back last week and it's been nice.

    I wouldn't ever question your judgement, and no one else should either. You are his parent and I'm sure, after ten years, you know fairly well works and what doesn't. Enjoy your 'vacation'!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I know that you understand. I hope other parents in our situation read this and aren't ashamed of their choices in weak moments. This disability is neverending.

    So, older son starts tomorrow, and then I have his chat chat chatting younger brother all to myself. Lol. This summer is going to make me a stronger person!

    ReplyDelete